Welcome to my site! Here I share tales, tips, and treats about being a modern-day-housewife, something I am constantly working on. I'm a wife of six years and counting, a mother to a crazy toddler and one "fur baby", and a lover of hot tea, long books, cooking, and theatre.
To make Memorial Day a little more special I thought I'd make a new sort of "shortcake". These cupcakes turned out to be precisely what we wanted!
- 1/2 C finely diced strawberries
- Cool Whip (I used fat free)
- 1 C sugar
- 1/2 C Canola Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 2/3 C Unbleached, All-Purpose flour
- 1/2 C Milk
-Preheat the oven to 350.
- Whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Combine the baking powder and flour in a smaller bowl, then add to the sugar mixture alternating with the milk.
- Fill the lined or sprayed muffin pan holes with 1/4 batter in each.
- Bake for 23 to 25 minutes. Let cool for at least five to ten minutes.
- Use a cupcake corer or apple corer to take out the center of each cupcake. Fill with the finely chopped strawberries.
- Top each cupcake with cool whip and another whole/half/quarter of a strawberry to "garnish". Serve immediately.
*If you are taking the cupcakes somewhere, say for a party or get together, then take the cool whip along with you and don't "frost" them until right before serving!*
Hope you had a good Memorial Day remembering those who have fallen for our freedom.