Welcome to my site! Here I share tales, tips, and treats about being a modern-day-housewife, something I am constantly working on. I'm a wife of six years and counting, a mother to a crazy toddler and two "fur babies", and a lover of hot tea, long books, cooking, and theatre.
This was a last minute dessert made because we were having more people over than we thought. With a couple hours notice, I'd say it turned out rather nicely and complimented the dinner (soon to be posted).
Ingredients (only for the sugar cookie base):
- 1 1/4 C Butter or margarine (3.5 sticks)
- 3/4 C Sugar
- 1 Large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare a pizza pone or stone with non-stick spray.
- Beat the flour until nice and fluffy. Add the yolk and vanilla, then add the flour in 1/2 C increments until you've successfully mixed it all in.
*Use the hand mixer/ mix master until you have to switch to using a spatula/spoon.*
- Transfer the mix to the prepared pizza pan. Sprinkle flour over it and then roll it out like you would any sugar cookie mix.
*If you have the time, refrigerate the mix for at least one hour, and longer if you can! It will be a lot easier to mold.*
- Use a bowl to create a perfect (or as close to perfect as you can get) circle.
- Make the dough about 3/4 of an inch to one inch thick.
- Cook the cookie for 12 to 15 minutes until golden around the edges. Let it cool in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before considering adding the frosting and such.
- Add the cream cheese frosting from Red, White, and Blue Cake and top with fruit/berries of your choosing! Serve cold, so you may want to put it in the fridge until then (this will also help the frosting set).
*I only used blueberries and strawberries because that's what I had available to me, but I usually put anything from bananas to kiwi on there as well!*