Welcome to my site! Here I share tales, tips, and treats about being a modern-day-housewife, something I am constantly working on. I'm a wife of six years and counting, a mother to a crazy toddler and two "fur babies", and a lover of hot tea, long books, cooking, and theatre.
Craving zucchini is pretty normal in our household. Clark grew up with fried zucchini. I grew up with... well.. no zucchini, really, until my senior year of high school. Still, we both love it. Therefore, I thought it only right that I find a healthier way of making zucchini since fried truly is not an option. Ergo: Zucchini chips.
By the way, does anyone besides me always want to spell "zuchinni" instead of "zucchini"?
Not to mention my friend Beth over at Post Graduation Studies has been going on and on about her love for zucchini (meant in a positive respect... I see how "on and on" could come across as negative), and therefore I thought I'd post something for her to try!
- 1 thinly sliced zucchini
- 1/4 C bread crumbs (Italian flavored would go excellently)
- 1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 C Milk (I used skim)
- 1/4 C (heaping) of Whole Wheat Flour
- Preheat your oven to 425.
- Spray your cookie sheet or line it with nonstick aluminum foil.
- Mix together your milk and flour. *Pictured is one cup of milk and 1/2 C flour, but I learned that I definitely didn't need that much so I halved it for the post!*
- Mix together your bread crumbs, cheese, black and cayenne pepper.
- Dip your zucchini slices first in the milk mixture (drenching/drowning them, really) and then coat them (generously) in the bread crumbs mix. Place on your prepared cookie sheet. *My fingers looked like they were ready to be cooked as well by the time I was finished with this process!*
- Bake the chips for 30 minutes, flipping half way through (so 15 minutes on each side). Make sure to check on them because a couple of mine did get overdone (aka burned to a crisp), but for the most part they were positively scrumptious!