Friday, September 21, 2012
Blogging on a Budget: Seasonal Exceptions
Although I've been beyond focused on sticking to a budget, there come times when you need to just splurge a bit. Live a little. Ya know?
I wanted to put together a care package for my little sister (who is a freshman at the University of Kansas this year!), and I wasn't about to do it half-heartedly. Although buying name brand, specific things can be pricey at the grocery store-- sometimes you do whatcha gotta do.
Since it is Autumn (just about), I thought what better way to celebrate than to make this adorable treat I found on Pinterest (which, actually, my little sister initially pinned-- so I knew it was a keeper/winner for the care package).
- Hershey Kisses
- mini chocolate chip morsels
- Nutter Butter (bite size)
- Melt about 1 C of mini chocolate chips (about half of the bag) in the microwave or over the stove top.
- Carefully dip the flat end of a Hershey Kiss into the melted chocolate and bind it to a Nutter Butter. Do the same with a mini chocolate chip (see the picture).
- Repeat as many times as you like. Careful leaving these lying around, though! Many of mine kept mysteriously disappearing and I would have to make more.
Great for goody bags, too (like pictured below)! The bags and leaves I bought at our local Dollar Tree, so they clearly didn't break the bank!
I also gave in and bought three cans of pumpkin today. Needless to say, there's going to be some serious pumpkin recipes coming!